Monday 7th of January 2013 08:52:30 AM
Homework Partner EdTech brand
Rationale to build an EdTech brand with a suite of mobile apps specifically aimed at making homework more fun and efficient
This document is still a work-in-progress. Further expansion and accompanying research is on-going.
Long-term developments or drivers that are shaping our world include (but not limited to):
- Emerging markets and accompanying rise of their middle-class (specifically in Asia)
- Rapid technology innovation creating a more mobile world
The above drivers are bringing about several major trends:
- Increase in demand for education (derived from the rise of the middle-class)
- Growing online population
- Large growth in broadband adoption
- Substantial growth of Android in Asia (South Korea is a regional trend-setter. Samsung is South-Korea's largest company by revenue and is the biggest global seller of smart-phones, a large majority of which is Android)
- 34% of tablet owners worldwide will be in Asia Pacific by 2017
- An emerging middle class. By 2030 Asia will represent 66% of the global middle-class population and 59% of middle-class consumption. An emerging middle class will drive increases in capital, be it physical (plant, equipment or housing) or human (education or health).
- In Asia's trend-setting cities, iPhone fatigue sets in
- Ernst & Young: Six global trends shaping the (business) world
- Top 3 smartphone operating systems: Android's market share at 66% - 2012/Q4
- Asia’s huge mobile/broadband capacity is a solid foundation for growing the digital economy
- Samsung Is The World's Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By A Long Shot
- Final Q4 numbers and full year 2012 statistics for Smartphone market shares: Top 10 manufacturers, top OS platforms, and top installed bases
By the same reasoning as above, mobile apps specifically catering for the health-related needs of the elderly population (an aging global population is another, major driver) is another big growth area :-)
Initial mobile app suite
- Homework Partner app [Pending...]
- NotesTagger for Android: an intuitive tags-oriented note taking app with extensive semantic web integration (including Freebase and DBpedia articles, YouTube videos, and Flickr images).
- NotesMapper for Android: a powerful semantic note taking app based on topic maps with extensive semantic web integration (not unlike NotesTagger's semantic web integration).
Freebase is an open data entity graph of people, places, and things. DBpedia is a crowd-sourced community effort to extract structured information from Wikipedia.